Support for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) has published a list of various support systems and programs available to international students in Japan who are facing difficulties due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This includes cash payments available to anyone who is registered with the Basic Resident Registration System as of April 27, 2020 (International students who receive a Residence Card upon entry into Japan are registered with this system and can apply for the cash payment. Students who reside in Japan for 90 days or less are not eligible).
- Student Affairs Division
- Open hours: Monday-Friday (except public holidays) 8:30-17:15
- Tuition Reduction
- Full-time students who are unable to pay tuition fees by the established payment date due to financial reasons are able to apply to have their tuition fees reduced or waived, or to have their payment deferred to a later date.
- Use of university facilities
- Students are able to use university facilities and equipment for classwork, student club activities, or their own creative activities. Please note, however, that availability times vary depending on the facility.
- The nurse’s office conducts regular annual health checks in addition to treatment for injury and illness. An AED (Automated External Defibrillator) is located in the Student Affairs Division on the first floor of the Administrative Building.
- Student counseling
- Living in a foreign country can be a challenge in itself, but add to this the challenges of taking classes and making friends in a foreign language, and the stresses can easily pile up. If there is anything you are concerned about, there are people who can help: your instructors, the staff of Student Affairs and International Exchange, the school nurse, and a specialist counselor are all available to listen and discuss any issues you may have. For language assistance, please contact the International Exchange Center (2nd floor of the Administrative Building; TEL. 018-888-8478).
- Cafeteria and shop
- The Cafeteria is open Monday through Friday from 10:00-14:00.
- A small shop is located in the Cafeteria Building (Rest house), selling textbooks, class materials, snacks, and everyday items. Open Mondays through Fridays from 10:00-18:00.
- There is a bus (Araya Line) which stops near the entrance to campus. For bus times, please consult the Akita Chuo Kotsu website: http://www.akita-chuoukotsu.co.jp/index.html#
For those commuting by train, JR Araya Station (Uetsu Line) is 15-20 minutes’ walk from campus.
- Office hours
- Faculty offer office hours for academic consultations.